Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mushroom Soil

Mushroom soil has long been an item that I had thought about selling on online. I had thought that selling it by the bag would be a good venture to get into. It is a great way to add nutrients to a garden or to top dress a large area. It can even be used as mulch. Its richness requires that it be mixed with regular topsoil so that it does not burn the plant roots. I purchased three buckets and put one on my small 10'x 10' garden, and the results were spectacular. Lizzies' mom who I made the garden for, was thrilled with the results, and asked if I had done anything else to the garden. I have also had one request for a bucket next year. The farmer that I get it from showed me some oversized beets that his wife had grown. Along with that, she has some spectacular flowers.
I would like to do a test auction on ebay to see if there is a market for mushroom soil. I have seen several sites that sell it online, but I believe they sell it at wholesale, and not pacakaged for the regular consumer.

Mushroom Soil Business Details:
  • Supply of mushroom soil- this may not be a problem, scarcity means the cost of the soil should be higher, but how much will a gardener pay for mushroom soil?
  • Cost of shipping- this will be very costly, and could add drastically to the price. Could just sell locally and require pick up.
  • Packaging- trash bags and a scale the easiest, but least professional. Buckets would be great, but the cost of packaging is very high. Sealed bags require the investing of a bag sealer. Could outsource this part of the process, along with shipping(find someone to drop ship it-the supplier)

Networking- related sites that would be able to network with include but not limited to:

Next step:

Run an Ebay auction.

No comments: